Digital Futures Summit
Twelve GTS students enjoyed a wonderful day exploring digital careers on Monday 18th October at the RIO (Real Ideas Organisation) Digital Future Summit at Market Hall, Plymouth.
The summit was a finale to a pilot project that the current year 9 took part in the summer term, where they watched a series of short films about jobs and industries from the Southwest that utilise digital skills. The project aimed to highlight the digital skills required in today's world of work and the importance of pursuing computing studies.
At the summit, we met some of the digital leaders that were featured in the films. Our student's carousal around six half-hour workshops with the employers they met through the engagement videos in the summer term.
- BT- working with representatives from BT the group split into two teams to design and deliver an idea for an app that would solve a problem.
- Ocean City Media- the company behind the making of the Digital Engagement Pilot videos talked about their jobs and careers. We also learned how it was possible to film, shoot and edit short little films using our phones and editing software.
- Fab Lab Plymouth- the Fab Lab demonstrated their 3D scanning and 3D printing equipment and its capabilities.
- A panel of digital industry professionals- Lydia from Fishtek Marine and Tom from Lineal Software Solutions talked about their careers in-depth and gave an insight into how useful digital skills are.
- Immersive Dome experience - this dome was enormous and completely mesmerizing; we watched a mini film and were shown the capabilities of the technology that draws you into the story or performance being shown.
- Bluescreen IT- experts in Cyber Security, Bluescreen IT delivered a workshop for the children to learn more about the industry. We all learned not to leave the house with our Wi-Fi switched on!