Subject Lead - Miss Stephanie Colwill, 01805 623531 Ext. 266
Here at GTS we believe that our growing outdoor learning provision truly reflects our 6 school values of relationships, respect, health, responsibility, resilience, and opportunity. This translates into our inclusive approach to learning that:
- involves being outdoors as a central part of the experience
- is open to all
- strives to use the outdoor environment as a vehicle for transforming the experience into knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviours
- often involves some physical activity
- always respects the environment
- is both memorable and fun
Outdoor learning provides opportunities to develop social and emotional resilience which is vitally important for a young person’s life chances through supporting wider learning across the curriculum whilst simultaneously providing essential skills for life in both employment and as part of wider society.
All pupils have a range of outdoor learning opportunities through the E&I programme and we encourage and welcome all pupils to get involved in at least one per year. Pupils also have the opportunity to participate in the ski trip to Pila, Italy and, on alternate years, an adventurous activity trip to the Ardèche in France.
We run the Ten Tors Challenge, the Adventure Service Challenge, and the Duke of Edinburgh Award (Bronze and Silver).